Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Homemade hot chocolate

It was starting to get cold out, and I was wanting a cup of hot chocolate. The only problem was I didn't have any instant hot chocolate mix on hand, and I didn't want to go to the store. So what was I supposed to drink? I found a really good recipe at Cooks.com that I tried. This girl that created this recipe definitely knows how to make a good cup of hot chocolate. It was way better than the instant kind. I liked it so much I had to put in under my blog so my readers could check it out. The link is listed below.

Sarah's homemade hot chocolate here

Homemade hot chocolate

Ingredients:
*1 tbsp. cocoa powder
*2 tbsp. sugar
*2 tbsp. water
*1 c. milk
*1 tsp of vanilla, if desired
*a pinch of cinnamon
*a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, for extra creaminess
*a pinch of chocolate sprinkles
*a dollop of whipped cream
*a small handful of marshmallows, if desired

1. Combine cocoa, sugar, and water in a small saucepan. Heat it on low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the paste from sticking to the pan.

2. After about 1 to 2 minutes, add milk and vanilla. Mix it all together until it reaches your preferred temperature.

The only thing that I did differently was I added a pinch of cinnamon, some mini marshmallows, a dollop of whipped cream, some chocolate sprinkles for a decorative touch. I also added a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream for extra creaminess. This is better than the instant hot chocolate, and almost as good as the coffeehouse versions (such as Starbucks), but for a fraction of the price. If you want a a hint of mint in your hot chocolate, try melting a chocolate peppermint patty in with the cocoa powder, water, and sugar (add along with the first step). Or if you want a cappuccino flavor to it, try adding a heaping teaspoon or two of the instant cappuccino powder that is in a canister during step one also. This should create a frothy, coffee-like taste.

This is a wonderful addition to a plate of sugar cookies, or just by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment