Monday, October 24, 2011

Breakfast from the tropics

I tried this recipe for a snack a few times, and it is amazing. This treat doesn't need a lot of ingredients, and it is very cheap to make. It has a pina colada appeal to it. It reminds me of laying on a sunny hot beach with a pina colada drink in hand. The smell of the coconut alone is like suntan oil.

This is a yogurt treat that I love to make for company, and it is a wonderful snack to eat when watching your figure. This recipe is rum-free, and all you need to top it off with is an umbrella!

Ingredients:

1/3 cup(s) reduced-fat vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup canned pineapple
1/4 cup canned mandarin oranges
1 tablespoon(s) toasted coconut or as much as you want

Directions

1. I like to use a tall clear parfait glass because it makes it look more presentable. Start with the pineapple, next the yogurt, then the mandarin oranges, then yogurt again, rotating into multiple layers of each. Then top your creation with toasted coconut.

Tips & Techniques

To toast coconut: Place coconut in a small dry skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes or spread in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350°F until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. I recommend the dry skillet method because it is faster and easier.

Please check out my other blogs as well as my website. I want to also note that you can get the parfait glasses at places like walmart and pier one imports. You can get them in plastic, so you don't have to worry about breaking them, or in glass for extra elegance.

Here is the original website where I got the website. This recipe doesn't layer them like I do.
yogurt parfait website here

This recipe also goes great with a cup of coffee. You can get a very appealing coffee mug at my store, among other products.
Buy a coffee cup here

No comments:

Post a Comment