Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Restaurant inspired buffalo wings

There have been a few people that have actually come up to me, and have asked me why I haven't posted my restaurant-inspired buffalo wing recipe on my blog, or at least on my website. I haven't forgotten, and people that know me know that I always keep my promises. So here you go. I am not going to take all of the credit for it though. I found a really good recipe for it, but I've made it so many times that I have slightly changed it to my liking. All I can tell is that they are amazing. Way better than any restaurant I have been to.

The really funny part is I am now known as the hot wing Goddess by a few friends. I appreciate the comment greatly because I feel valued for my cooking. Thanks again to my friends who have given me this title.

Anyway here are the changes I have made to my recipe. I make about five pounds to start with because they do go fast for a group of people. I would also like to note that if you buy them frozen then they are pretty well broken down into applicable size. If you buy them for example in a huge package from a butcher like Kroger, then you will have to cut the wings in half because they are really big, are harder to eat, and take slightly longer to cook. However, you can always keep them in their huge size if people like to eat them that way.

Please note that this is a recipe for 20 chicken wings, which feeds about ten people. The original recipe can be found below. This recipe also works best with a deep fryer.

Restaurant-style buffalo wings

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (chili powder will work too)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
20 chicken wings
oil for deep frying

For sauce:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup hot sauce or Frank's wing sauce (it's a thicker consistency)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder


Marinating:
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika

Directions

1. Combine marinating ingredients in a large bowl, and add chicken. Make sure the chicken is evenly covered. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.

2. In a small bowl mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, both kinds of pepper, meat tenderizer, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. You should be able to smell the seasonings in the mixture. Pour into a large zip-lock bag.

3. Place chicken wings ( I usually put five at a time) into the bag, and shake it until the chicken is evenly coated.

4. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). The oil should be just enough to cover wings entirely, an inch or so deep. Fry coated wings (I usually do five or so at a time) in hot oil for 10 minutes, or until parts of wings begin to turn brown. Test a few with a meat thermometer for internal temperature. When done, place on a plate with some paper towels to soak up the excess grease.

5. Combine the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir together and heat until butter is melted and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat and reserve for serving.

6. Place wings in serving bowl, add hot sauce mixture and stir together. Serve with a side of celery and bleu cheese/and or ranch dressing.

I also want to note that in my previous article about hot wings, I had mentioned that if you would like hot wings, add a tablespoon of white vinegar, and taste test to see if the hotness is to your liking. You can always add more.
Original recipe provided here
Buffalo wings here

No comments:

Post a Comment