Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What to do with your extra salad dressings

I am referring to my previous article, Eating on a Budget Doesn't Have to be Difficult. I had said that I liked to stock up on spaghetti sauce and salad dressings because I know that we will use those items every so often.

Well, my step-mom gave me the idea about using salad dressing as a marinade. One evening, I was having my sister and her husband over for dinner, and we were going to have pork chops. But since it's starting to get colder outside, we're not wanting to make the effort of heating up the grill and grilling the chops. So I marinated the pork chops (my recommendation for tender pork chops is to marinate them before you go to work or errand running) with Italian dressing. Later, i cooked them on my griddle. They were amazing.

There's nothing really to the recipe because I just gave it to you. Just make sure the pork chops are cooked all the way, maybe 4 minutes on each side. I recommend again using a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the pork. Serve them with some veggies and you have an awesome quick meal.

I will give you another tip that my step-mom gave me as well. When going to the grocery store, always look at the pork loins (the huge whole ones) because they tend to be cheaper than the already cut up ones. You can ask the butcher there to cut it up for you, and you can literally have triple the pork chops than the pre-cut ones. That's another way to save money. I would take the pork chops home, and then portion them for proper dinner sizes (family of 2,4 etc...) and stick the unused portions in the freezer for future use.

I will post more recipes under my blog, along with other money saving tips in regards to being on a budget. Please come check out my website, and find interesting things on there, as well as a product review.

No comments:

Post a Comment