Sunday, September 18, 2011

Food that fits the weather

As the weather starts to get colder, people are going to become a little more choosy about what they want to eat. In the fall, people tend to start eating more soup and chili. They are the perfect and simple solution to a quick meal fix.

Chili being the main focal point, it is very easy to make. I recently found out that some of the recipes on items that I buy on a normal basis are quite valuable. On the back of a McCormick chili packet offers a wonderful chili recipe that doesn't need too many ingredients, and it is very cheap to make. I altered this version slightly. The only difference is I add the salt, pepper, chili powder, ketchup, and I DON'T use a can of tomatoes. I added it once, and I didn't like the texture. So I just don't add it. Otherwise, this is a favorite of mine.

Thick, meaty, and hearty. Those are my goals when I make this.

To make my chili, you will need these ingredients:

2 cans tomato sauce
1 package McCormick chili mix
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 can dark red kidney beans undrained
1 can light red kidney beans undrained
1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1/2 cup ketchup

Optional:
saltine crackers
shredded cheese
sour cream

Directions:
1. Dice the onions.

2. Brown the ground beef in a pan. (You can choose to drain the grease if you are a little health conscious. I like to leave a some in for flavor. Add salt. chili powder, and pepper.

3. Add the onions. Cook til the onions are no longer crunchy.

4. Add both cans of tomato sauce and chili mix.

5. Add both cans of beans, cook to a boil.

Serve with optional items. It is awesome with sour cream! This is a very cheap dinner solution that will feed about 4 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment