Monday, September 26, 2011

A Recipe that Costs Practically Nothing

Have you ever been home, and you feel like baking something because you're having a sugar buzz? However, there's one little problem. You don't have that many ingredients to bake much of anything. Well here's a recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook that you can use to make something out of nothing. It's shortbread, and all it requires are three easy ingredients.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbs sugar
1/2 cup butter

That's it to make a delectable cookie that will satisfy your sweet tooth for a while.

Directions:
1. Combine in a mixing bowl flour and sugar. Cut in butter until it resembles fine bread crumbles.

*Since I'm primarily focusing on easy recipes, I chose to make shortbread rounds because they don't require a pastry cutter.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thick. Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut 24 rounds. Place them 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 20-25 minutes.

*Here's a helpful hint to those who don't have a rolling pin on hand. A plain, smooth drinking glass will do just as well. Just dust a small amount of flour on your hands and the glass, and that should help you in the process.

I'm not taking the credit for this recipe whatsoever. Here is the bibliography for the cookbook that I used for this recipe.

Byal, Nancy, Lemmon, Jean, & Others. Better Homes and Gardens: New Cookbook. (p. 201). Meredith Publishing Group. 1996.

Although there are times when cookbooks are not always available on hand. That's why it's easy to just to come to my website and my blog because I have an assortment of recipes readily available for you. I will give the sources of where I got them as well.

1 comment: