Friday, September 9, 2011

vegetarian dishes

Sometimes when I have guests over, they prefer to have a meat-less entree. This can be a very difficult task because you want it to be delicious and satisfying. I found this recipe (When I made it I altered it, but I gave both versions), and it is meat free. I often use it as a dip and serve it with tortilla chips, but it can be made as a meal.

Bean and Rice dip-Allrecipes.com

Bean and Rice dip

ingredients:
3/4 cup white rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I'm not using actual meat so I figured this would be o.k.) (You can also substitute vegetable broth if you insist)
1 can black beans
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can substitute chili powder if you don't have cayenne)

additives:
1 can crushed tomatoes with green chiles, mild
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bag of tortilla chips
sour cream

Directions
1.Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
2.Add the onion and garlic and saute.
3 Add rice, and saute for 2 minutes.
4.Add the broth, stir. Cook to a boil.
5.Cover, turn heat to a simmer. Cook about 20 minutes
6.Add spices and beans (If you plan on adding the salt, pepper, and can of tomatoes, add them here)
7.Serve with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com This recipe is from the WEBB cooks. Articles and recipes by Robyn Webb, courtesy of the American Diabetes Association. I gave the link for all who want the information on it.

I personally prefer the way I choose to make it. My version of this delicious recipe can only be found here, so come check out my web page.

1 comment: